Student Financial Aid

Federal Work-Study / Student Employment Office

Federal Work-Study

Awarded and Accepted Work-Study?
Review your Work-Study Student Employee Manual
and Follow The Log In Directions Below

Click on the "Get a job" note on this page
and log in using your Ohio State ID and password.

Please note, you will not be able to log in if you accepted
your FWS award within the last 24-48 hours

Newark Campus Students can view and apply for Newark Campus jobs at

Find a job:

find a work-study job

  • Click on get a job (right) and log in
  • Mouseover Job Search on the top menu and select Search Work-Study Jobs
  • Fill in the search criteria and click on Search
  • Click on the Job ID or Job Title to see how to apply for that job
Print a Job Referral Form, click on:
  • Prepare Referral Form! button at the top of the page
  • Enter a message to the employer by clicking on [Edit] (at right of message area)
  • Select Print Forms and Job Referral Form from the menu on the left side of the page
  • Print out the resulting PDF Job Referral Form
Reprint a Job Referral Form, click on:
  • My Account
  • My Activity
  • View (far right column) for the Job Referral Form you wish to print
  • Print Forms button at the upper-left corner of the page
  • Job Referral Form
  • Print the PDF Job Referral Form
Contact the employer:
  • Follow the application instructions listed on the referral form
  • Call or e-mail the contact to set up an interview appointment

Federal Work-Study Program

The Federal Work-Study Program (FWS) is a need-based program which provides jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. The program encourages community service work and work related to your course of study.

Since research indicates that many college students successfully carry a normal academic course load of 12 to 18 credit hours per term while working on a part-time basis, Federal Work-Study is a useful option for many students. Many students find it necessary and desirable to work part-time. They may find that they are better able to manage their time as they fit their work schedule into classes, studying, and personal commitments.

Additionally, your FWS earnings will not be counted against your eligibility on next year's FAFSA. When completing your FAFSA, you should indicate your FWS earnings on the appropriate line so they can be excluded from your earned income. FWS wages are, however, taxable by the Internal Revenue Service.

Community Service

Students with FWS awards at The Ohio State University are encouraged to earn their awards while working in one of our rewarding community service or literacy tutoring jobs.

Federal Work-Study students have a wide variety of community service opportunities in which to participate. Jobs include many on the Ohio State campus which provide services to the community at large in addition to jobs off campus working for nonprofit agencies and schools in the greater Columbus area.

Special emphasis is given to participation in literacy tutoring and family literacy activities by Federal Work-Study students. Columbus campus students can provide tutoring assistance by participating in family literacy programs by working with the Columbus Literacy Council.

select agency to view jobsIf you have a Federal Work-Study Program award and are interested in participating in one of these off-campus opportunities, select a job from the list of agencies on the next tab. Note the job number of a specific job from the list. You can use this number to find the job and print your referral form from the work-study online system.

Are Federal Work-Study jobs on campus or off campus?

Both! If you work on campus, you will work for Ohio State. If you work off campus, you will still be employed by Ohio State, but your work site will be a private nonprofit organization or a public agency, and the work performed will be in the public interest.

How much can I make?

Current pay rates range from Ohio minimum wage to $13.00 per hour, depending on the skill required for the particular job and whether you are working on or off campus.

Can I work as many hours as I want?

No, the amount you earn can't exceed your total FWS award. Additionally, Ohio State limits anyone working in a student-employee status to a total of 28 hours of work per week in university employment, 20 hours of which may be paid by FWS.

What do I need to do to receive my award?

To begin working, you need to select a Federal Work-Study Program job from the ones currently active on our database, interview for the position, and be hired by the employer.

Please follow the instructions above to log on to our online system. Then search for a job. Once you have identified a job in which you are interested, you may contact the employer directly to apply by printing the Job Referral Form and using the contact information on the form to contact the employer and set up an appointment to interview.

After your interview, the department contact will let you know if you have been hired for the position. The employer's human resource representative will help you complete all necessary payroll forms before you begin working and will notify the SFA of your employment.

If you have a FWS award, please be sure to read the Federal Work-Study Student Employee Manual for more information on the terms and conditions of your award.

What do I need to do to keep my award?

Since Federal Work-Study is a federal financial aid program, you must meet all the eligibility criteria required for receipt of federal aid, including SAP. In addition, you must maintain at least half-time enrollment to be eligible to work on FWS.

How do I get my money?

Once you are hired into a Federal Work-Study job and have completed all needed payroll paperwork, you will keep a record of the hours you have actually worked, and you will submit it to your employing department once every two weeks. You will receive your funds by direct deposit for the hours that you reported on your time sheet approximately two weeks later.

Note: Your Federal Work-Study award is intended to help with your living expenses and other indirect educational costs. No money from your Federal Work-Study award will be available to help you pay fees at the start of each quarter.


First File the FAFSA